April 28, 2011

We were young, we were dumb, but we had heart

Well, I'm gonna miss that lil dude right there. Today, my brother Chris hopped on a plane and will be living on the island of St. Kitts for the next 28 months attending the vet school of Ross University. Look, even as a toddler the kid loved animals! 
FYI that is some random dog....we were in DC in this picture so he obviously was going after someones dog. Typical.

I know the decision to go to Ross was a very hard one for him. Last year we went to visit the school and it was absolutely amazing. It is unbelievably beautiful down there....it is like living in paradise, however you are so far away from civilization and the people you love. I give the kid credit. I have always looked up to my little brother and admired his drive for whatever he is passionate about. Now, I am blown away and so proud of him for taking this opportunity and going after his dream. It takes a lot of courage to take on new adventures, especially something that is so completely foreign to you. But if you continue to live your life in fear, what kind of life is that?  The priest on Easter Sunday gave an awesome homily. He asked us, "What is the opposite of fear?" I'm thinking...I dunno, courage? And he simply says one word: love

The more we start loving the less afraid we become. It takes a lot of courage to love. And I am talking about all aspects of love. Loving another person, loving the path you have chosen, most importantly...loving yourself.  If you are not loving, then you are not living. It's that simple. The song below has always reminded me of Chris...he loved Tupac growing up, still does. He even named his dog after the guy. It's a good tune so this one goes out to Homo aka Doolittle!


Wait a sec....I gotta add one more song. The theme song to Chris's graduation weekend at OSU! Which I must say was probably one of the best weekends of my life, minus the 6 hours I spent as a walrus feeling like I was dying. Yeah yeah...this song was also the played during the opening shit for all the Cavs games last year, HOWEVS! Chris and my dad were jamming to this song loooooong before this was the Cavs theme song. MY TIME BABAY!


Miss you already and love ya! 

I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
~Nelson Mandela

No comments:

Post a Comment