May 11, 2011

Mine is Yours


Wow, where to begin?! First off, I always thought Cold War Kids were an awesome band, however when I got their album, Mine is Yours, I was blown the freak away. No joke. This album is unbelievably amazing....definitely the best album I have heard in years. I haven't connected to an album like this since Death Cab's, Plans, back in 2005....that is what, almost 6 years ago so its obvi pretty damn good!


A few months ago I went during my lunch to pick up some new CDs I wanted. Yeah, I can't buy albums off itunes anymore because I don't have itunes! Where I work now is super strict with internet access, which I completely understand, and the laptop I am using is a work computer so I don't have administrative rights and I can't download itunes to it. I know that is besides the point, but I have to buy CDs now and I feel like I am back in high school. At first I was totally annoyed with it because you know, they are all over my car and they get scratched so easily and when I'm driving I'm searching in all my little compartments for the CD I want to listen to. That leads to me not paying attention and I end up going off the road or almost hit someone, cars are beeping at me. I just can't multi-task like that! Howevs, when I got Mine is Yours and I remembered how cool the album sleeves and little program thingies that sometimes have the lyrics are. Before I even put the CD on I was blown away by the art work in their album program. Here are some pics from it.
So back to the music....this band is the shit. This album is different than their previous ones; the songs are filled with more raw emotions and its much deeper. For me, the deeper an artist digs the more alive their music becomes. I like to get a sense of what the artist was feeling when he wrote whatever he wrote. It becomes more personal which results in more of a connection. Nathan Willett is the lead vocals and you can really feel his pain, frustration, passion, desire, whatever emotion it is. This album is perfect for blasting in your car and just getting lost inside of the songs. The mixture of his voice and the guitar just takes you along the experience of his songs. I don't think I can pick a favorite song on this record. At one point, each song has been a favorite. This is definitely an album I can listen to over and over and never get tired of. I haven't found an album like this in years. The lyrics...its like poetry set to music. I think everyone can relate to his writing, in one song or another. Lyrics are a major part of music, at least for me. When words become alive, set to a melody of your life, when the words hit a note within your own heart, I can't explain it. It's just icing on the cake. I wasn't sure which songs to pick, because I seriously like them all. I've been listening to this album a lot the past week, which is why I decided to write about it. I really wish there was a video for the song "Out of the Wilderness" because that song is out of this world. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one. It is probably the most unique song on the album, so be sure to check it out. I think these 3 songs kind of represent all the different angles of this record.






Okay, one last thing. Along with the artwork, they included a quote from John Cassavetes inside the album booklet. I thought it was pretty creative and correlates with the record. Perhaps Nathan connected with this quote was inspired when writing this album, who knows. Thats another thing I like about a writer or a band....when they keep you guessing.

"When I saw her, that was it, I said that's the girl I'm gonna marry. Well it was a hard struggle to convince her. I kept Gena under constant scrutiny. I was enormously jealous, filled with suspicions about other men, and with the terror that those suspicions might be correct. She wouldn't put up with that and finally I relaxed. In the beginning of our marriage, I made a bargain. Gena would fight me to the bitter end, and I would fight her to the bitter end. The bargain never has been broken. Together we live a magnificent, unassembled, emotional, and undisciplined life. I can't think of anyone with whom I would rather argue or love than my wife. We fight, argue, kill each other off every single day, Gena and me. But thats only surface, cause we both have the understanding that when we don't do that, its all over."
~John Cassavetes

No comments:

Post a Comment